Monday, July 2, 2012

Turkey & Feta Burgers

I don’t know about you, but every time my windows are open and I get a whiff of that glorious grill smell from one of my 2,695,597 Chicago neighbors, I’m guaranteed to spend the remainder of the day majorly craving a big fat burger. (Sorry, veggie friends!) However, since I don’t want to be a big fat anything, especially during bathing suit season, I save the burgers for special occasions. Our mama happens to make the best burgers in the world, so it’s worth waiting for. Or, you know, that one I ate last night after a few Corona Lights at a friend’s pool. Summer Sunday night totally = special occasion, right? :)

I feel like a lot of flavor can make up for a lack of finger-licking grease pretty darn well, so I make some version of turkey burgers just about once a week with various combinations of spices and add-ins. Last week, I made turkey burgers with reduced-fat feta mixed in, topped them with green olive tapenade and served with arugula and tomato salad. They were pretty awesome, if I do say so myself, so I thought I’d share.


Fancy cell phone photo via moi






Turkey & Feta Burgers


Makes 4 huge or 6 normal sized burgers

  • 1 package of ground turkey (I use 93/7 – but do 99/1 if you’re feeling extra healthy!)

  • 4 oz. crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese

  • ½ cup finely diced onion

  • 1 tsp garlic

  • 1 tsp salt

  • ½ tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)

  • 1 egg, beaten

  • 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs


  • Green olive tapenade (optional)


  1. Combine all ingredients, mix with your hands. Form into patties. Grill over medium heat until cooked through.

  2. Top with green olive tapenade if you’re into that kind of thing.

  3. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. turkey burgers are big in new york city... and I have to say, turkey and feta sounds great together! maybe we'll try this for the fourth of july this wednesday! come check out our food/style blog :)

    https://www.facebook.com/NeedleandFork

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know if you try them! You can honestly shove anything in a turkey burger and it tastes prettyyy great, but this combo is particularly tasty :) -L

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is how I feel about your zucchini pasta :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! :) Definitely a good one to try!

    ReplyDelete