Wednesday, January 2, 2013

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst."

chicago-photos-dead-flower chicago-photos-flag-harbor chicago-photos-garland chicago-photos-harboor chicago-photos-leaves-tree chicago-photos-park chicago-photos-skyline-ramp chicago-photos-stop-sign chicago-photos-trees-skyline chicago-photos-tree-sunlight

Quite the quote by Henri Cartier-Bresson, hmm?

Well, 9,804 to go.

I received the most amazing gift for Christmas - a Canon Rebel T3 and a lens that's way too cool for me. I'm going to take non-iPhone pictures, guys!

I've spent the past week reading as much as I can and watching eight gazillion YouTube tutorials. Aperture! Shutter speed! Camera shake! ISO! So much to learn.

I need a pet pronto so that the gift-giver doesn't get sick of being my unwilling (and often unsuspecting) subject.

On my last official day off of work for the holidays, I clomped around in the snow outside for a while and managed to snag some halfway decent shots. Get ready for lots more!

ll

15 comments:

  1. What a spectacular gift!! Now, as soon as you learn everything can I get you to teach me?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I think we should learn together, otherwise I'll be teaching you when I'm approximately 100! I just want to learn how to focus the darn thing consistently :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I'm so excited for you! I would love a fancy person camera!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The clarity is amazing! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! The camera gets allllllll the credit for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I'm excited tooooo... just need to learn how to use it and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! My first fancy camera was my favorite gift ever and it has literally changed my life. And happy new year friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! Happy new year to you too :) So... was that a hint about your Secret Project? I checked yesterday and nada!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If the photos that have populated your blog in the past are your worst, I'm very eager to see what happens now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These 5 out of 198 were decent :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband just gave me a Rebel, and I am thrilled. Since you are in Chicago I thought I would pass along the info on a free class at Next Door Chicago. It is Let’s Get Digital: Photography Workshop and it is on the 26th. https://www.nextdoorchi.com/web/guest/nd-classes
    Next Door also has monthly classes on food blogging that may be of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You just made my day! Thank you so much for sharing that. I had no idea that place did classes - I pass it all the time! I already signed up for the digital photography class - are you going?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! I am going too. It sounds like a good class. I enjoy their food blogging classes too, they are good for getting tips and networking. It will be fun to meet you in person, I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! Can't wait -- the food blogging class is full but I literally just put a weekly reminder to check the Next Door calendar for new openings :) Look forward to seeing you then!

    ReplyDelete
  15. [...] What’s up, aperture priority mode? Forgive the pointless pictures while I play with my camera. Slowly but steadily workin’ towards 10,000! [...]

    ReplyDelete