Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Things I Did Not Know About St. Louis


IMG_0857

IMG_0860

IMG_0864

IMG_0867

IMG_0875

IMG_0879

IMG_0903

IMG_0910

IMG_0912

IMG_0924

IMG_0952

IMG_0956

IMG_0966

IMG_0978

IMG_0998

IMG_1004

IMG_1010

IMG_1013

IMG_1040

IMG_1057



  • St. Louis' mascot is the Billiken. The Billiken is actually NOT Robin Williams' face on a fluffy cloud body, believe that or not. Instead, it's a figure that represents "things as they ought to be." I love that.

  • Nelly is not as easy to find as one might believe.

  • St. Louis is home to the second biggest Mardi Gras, only bested by New Orleans. Who knew? We were there the weekend just prior to the big celebration, so I blessedly got to experience some of the great music and decor without the crazy. Though who are we kidding, I would love to go back for the crazy.

  • Budweiser is the only beer to go through a beechwood aging process. Beechwood chips are added to the tanks the beer is brewed in to increase the surface area for yeast cells to rest on and ferment, which adds flavor compounds. Phew. Basically, there's a reason it tastes different than Miller Lite or other domestic lite beers. This is not technically a St. Louis fact, but the Budweiser Tour is a blast and should not be missed.

  • Budweiser does not enforce the 2-drink maximum on their tour.

  • St. Louis is awesome, and I can't wait to go back.

ll

6 comments:

  1. If you did not go to the City Museum, you MUST go back! It is like nothing you will ever experience. An indoor/outdoor adventure world for all ages. Wear comfy clothes and shoes and prepare to CLIMB EVERYTHING! http://www.citymuseum.org/site/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks AWESOME, definitely must go! I can't believe I missed this. Watched a few YouTube videos... unreal! Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may or may not have sat in one of those vacant tables in the background of your tasting room photo. Don't worry -- it was like two summers ago, so I totally wasn't stalking you.

    And you're right about their lack of enforcement for the 2-drink limit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's my hometown!!! (and now I'm a teeny bit homesick)
    Believe me you MUST experience Mardi Gras there at least once in your life - but be sure to buckle up. It's pretty crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really! I didn't know that, how cool. We are mutual fans of each other's hometowns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha awesome! I would totally go back and do it again. The dalmation would NOT sit still for a photo, much to my annoyance.

    ReplyDelete