Wednesday, June 6, 2012

24 Hours in Denver

On Sunday night, I flew out to Denver for a meeting Monday afternoon with my company. Though it shortened my weekend, Denver's been on my list of cities to visit for a while now and I'm glad I got a chance, albeit a quick one.

I stayed at the Hotel Monaco, a Kimpton brand hotel. Chicago has a Monaco too, but I've never been inside so I didn't really know what I was in for.

It was amazing. I was greeted by a glass of strawberry mint water and two golden retrievers in the lobby. (In case you were wondering, they were not hotel dogs, though I seriously did ask the doorman that. What is wrong with me? "Um, no, miss - we're just dog friendly." Ah, right.) Then I looked around, took in the hand painted ceiling, crazy light fixtures and chairs with cow-hide pillows and decided I never wanted to leave. The two guys behind the front desk were great too, super friendly and full of recommendations for dinner that night.



The ceiling in the lobby. I need these light fixtures in my future!



Even though my room had a rather sad view of the parking garage, I loved it anyway - the design was so crazy but it totally worked. Check out all of the patterns! (I'm looking at you, Jessie!)



On the recommendation of the concierge, we wandered over to check out the Denver Chalk Art Festival at Larimer Square and I am so, so glad I did this. I'm a sucker for anything with twinkly lights, and the beautiful chalk drawings were just icing on the cake.







Though literally every single entry was ridiculously beautiful, these three were my favorites. Can you tell I like faces?

We wandered into a wine bar called Cru for dinner outside on the patio, and it turned out to be another huge win. I couldn't take pictures of our dinner because I was with work company, but please believe me when I say that it was to die for. The lamb lollipops (I hate that name) were ridiculous and the tuna tartare was amazing too. Paired with a great glass of pinot noir, I was pretty happy despite technically "working" on a Sunday night!



I did manage to snap one shot of Cru's interior - wine bottles all the way up the walls and great chandeliers.

The next day, we had lunch at Panzano in our hotel. Again, no pictures, but phenomenal food. I had the Panzanella Salad - which loosely translated means "the least-healthy salad of all time", but so worth it. I want to go back to Denver just to eat everything I had between Sunday and Monday over again!

It was a whirlwind but a great trip. I'd totally go back with friends for a ski trip (and by "ski" I mean... sitting in a ski lodge drinking hot chocolate with Baileys). Chicago may be the most beautiful city in the world, but it is flat as a board and I am totally fascinated by mountains. I'd love to check out some of Denver's outdoor activities. Who's in? :)



8 comments:

  1. Lamb Lollipops? Make me wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've stayed at Hotel Monoco in Chicago!!!!! I loved it! Hopefully next time I'm there I can see you girls!

    I've never been to Denver and have always wanted too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab recap! Denver is definitely on my travel wish list...very low on that list, but it's there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Since you're famous and all these days, it'll be perfect... you can come hang out in Chicago and give me street cred! Can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha I heard it was the happiest city because it had the most sunny days of any city in the US so I added it to mine... personally, I think everyone was happy because they were off-season snowboarders who were high because they were bored, but whatever works!

    ReplyDelete