Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Book Review - Mrs. Kennedy and Me

I just finished Mrs. Kennedy and Me, a memoir by Jackie Kennedy Onassis' lead secret service agent during the time JFK was in office. I can't recommend this book enough. Even putting aside the obvious allure of the Kennedys, a peek into the way the Secret Service works is pretty fascinating in itself. Clint Hill earned the trust of a woman notoriously private by going out of his way to keep her safe while allowing her the one thing she wanted more than anything - freedom - to the best of his ability.

It was really touching to read about his dedication to her and the friendship that grew between the two during their time together and I loved reading as the dynamic between the two of them grew and changed.

However, the very obvious draw here is the intimate look into Jackie's life and the book does not disappoint. I always knew she had some serious style, but I had no idea just how much she impacted JFK's presidency and in short, how awesome she was. She led a life that most of us can't even imagine, but the book shows this incredibly human side of her - mischievious, adventurous, and funny.

Read it! You'll love it.

Ali, if I show up to your pool this weekend wearing a scarf on my head, you've been warned.

I'd really like to read One Special Summer, a book she authored with her sister about their summer together in Europe. Apparently they don't have this for Kindle which frankly is baffling, but maybe I'll go old-school and get the... hardcover?








All images via Pinterest

2 comments: