Monday, January 21, 2013

Chicken and Kale Burgers

Image

Image

Image

Image

I had two cans of chicken breast on hand this weekend, and to save myself from myself and the extremely strong temptation to throw some mayonnaise in there and call it a day, I decided to get creative.

I added sauteed kale to the mix with organic breadcrumbs, an egg and seasoning, then pan fried the patties for a quick and healthy lunch with lots of flavor.

Chicken & Kale Burgers


Makes 4 burgers

  • 2 10-oz. cans chicken breast

  • 1 Egg

  • 1/4 Cup breadcrumbs

  • 1 Cup kale leaves, stems discarded

  • 1 Tb worcestershire sauce

  • 1 tsp chili pepper flakes

  • 1 Tb lemon juice

*This may be the only recipe you'll ever see from me that does not include adding salt, but I strongly recommend against it -- the chicken is already salty! 

  1. Sautee kale leaves in olive oil until soft. Alternatively, you could steam the kale. Set aside to cool.

  2. Drain chicken breast, then add to a bowl with egg, breadcrumbs, and kale.

  3. Use your hands to mix all of the ingredients together - there's really no way around getting in there and getting your hands dirty! A spoon won't cut it.

  4. Add worcestershire sauce, chili peppers, and lemon juice.

  5. Mix it all up again, then divide mixture into four sections. Form one burger out of each section, rolling it into a ball and then flattening.

  6. Fry in a pan prepared with olive oil spray over low heat, flipping once until heated through and golden brown on each side.

  7. Eat! This would be great on a bun with condiments and extra veggies, but was juuust fine on a plate with spicy ketchup.

ll

6 comments:

  1. Yummmmmmm. And it seems so simple!
    Adding these ingredients to the grocery list RIGHT NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so creative. I love this healthier version of burger than the traditional ones. :) I definitely will give this a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely very simple! Just have to be willing to get your hands dirty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Amy! If I'm being honest, creativity was born out of necessity because I didn't want to leave the comfort of my apartment and I had all of these ingredients on hand. Give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. [...] Chicken and Kale Burgers (deuxchicago.wordpress.com) [...]

    ReplyDelete