Thursday, January 17, 2013

Helping Hands

heart-gloves-etsy> adorable gloves via this etsy shop



Every year, our mama gets us socks for Christmas. The really cozy, warm kind that we'd never buy ourselves. She says its because her worst fear is that someone is cold. And yes, she is the best.

I sometimes feel that I'm not doing enough for my neighbors in this cold and windy city. I attempted to do some research for the sake of this post to find the number of homeless Chicagoans, but it doesn't seem that there's anything conclusive. Honestly, though, whether the number is 5,000 or 20,000 doesn't really matter.

I'm particularly sensitive to those living on the street when I find myself shivering and complaining in layers of sweaters, boots, mama socks and a parka.

But I'm hesitant to pull out my wallet after getting it stolen one extremely frustrating day a few years back after doing that, and equally hesitant to buy someone lunch or dinner after my burrito beneficiary informed me that he was sick of Mexican. (Seriously.)

So this year, I've figured out an inexpensive and easy way to help a neighbor here or there and I thought I'd share.

Duck into a Walgreens or CVS and pick up a pack of handwarmers and a pair of cotton gloves. They're almost always near the front of the store, close to the registers, and for a few dollars, you can make someone fighting our beloved city's bitter cold just a bit warmer and more comfortable for 10 hours.

And if you need a little extra motivation, you'll help my mama rest easier :)

ll

13 comments:

  1. I love this! Those gloves are so cute and that is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I want those gloves too... Would be a cute DIY too, I think :) Except I can't even sew a button, haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts exactly...before I read your last line I thought, "Wow I'm jealous, I can't even sew" HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Laura :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I thought the burrito was well done but what do I know? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. People who say "no" to free burritos can't be trusted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh...the gloves are SO cute but, more importantly, your idea of the helping handwarmers is so thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete