Sunday, January 13, 2013

Healthy Greek Frittata

healthy-greek-frittata

I'm currently redeeming one free week of yoga as a beginning at CorePower Yoga, which means that at least for the remainder of this week, I'll be annoyingly healthy. Oh, except for that prime rib I devoured last night at Crosby's Kitchen.

On a mission to atone for last night's medium-rare and horseradish-cream covered sins, I insisted on Sunday brunch in this morning, and made an extremely healthy version of JB's standard brunch order - a Greek omelette. Frankly, this could just as easily be an omelette but I've yet to make an omelette without it breaking/burning/running so I spared myself the stress, threw it in the oven and called it a very happy day.

Making a few of these would be a great option for entertaining. They're almost embarassingly easy and totally fit into my new, yoga-enhanced healthy lifestyle! (This week.)  I've pasted in the nutritional stats below the recipe... kind of unbelievable, no?

healthy-greek-frittata-onions

What's up, aperture priority mode? Forgive the pointless pictures while I play with my camera. Slowly but steadily workin' towards 10,000!

healthy-greek-frittata-tomato-knife

Did you know there was such a thing as a tomato knife? I did not, and I have spent the past 28 years squishing tomato after tomato.

healthy-greek-frittata-veggies

Perfectly chopped!

healthy-greek-frittata-veggies-2

healthy-greek-frittata-prep

healthy-greek-frittata-before

healthy-greek-frittata-breakfast

Breakfast feasting with AmyLu chicken sausage - the best.



Healthy Greek Frittata


Serves 4

  • 4 whole eggs

  • 5 egg whites

  • Large handful of spinach

  • 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped

  • 6 green onions, finely chopped

  • 1/2 cup fat free feta*

  • 1 tsp oregano

  • black pepper to taste


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

  2. Saute chopped tomatoes and green onions in a non-stick pan, coated with cooking spray. Add spinach and cover to wilt.

  3. Transfer cooked vegetables into a pie dish prepared with cooking spray and allow to cool.

  4. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, and oregano, then pour the egg mixture over cooled vegetables.

  5. Sprinkle feta on top, then add pepper to taste. You don't need salt, the feta is already salty!

  6. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until egg is completely set.

  7. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Slice and serve!

*fat free feta is the least scary fat free cheese, and personally, I don't mind it. However, you could easily substitute in reduced fat or even full fat feta here and still have a very healthy dish!

healthy-greek-frittata-nutrition


9 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I was the same way when I had my free week at CorePower Yoga! How do you like the classes there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I'm obsessed!! I'm having this huge mental battle over whether I can justify that monthly package :) Paying $20 per drop in seems crazy, so I feel like I either need to commit or get over it! Did you end up staying on there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't justify the monthly fee so I'm crossing my fingers there will someday be a Living Social deal or something. I already have a gym membership so I couldn't bring myself to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm currently gym membership-less so seriously debating doing it instead of getting a new gym membership. And then eating soup out of a can at least one week a month!

    Watch me get the membership and next week Living Social does the deal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aperture priority mode! lmao! so awesome! what camera did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  6. J got me a Canon Rebel EOS T3! Thanks to you I instantly knew to FIND THE RED DOT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recommend buying a 10 or 20 class package at CPY instead of monthly. Unless you're super committed to going at least like 3 times a week, you'll be better off with a pass. I love not feeling pressured to go all week to make sure I'm getting my $$'s worth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a good call - I went 3 times this week but I do think that's a bit of a beginner's high! I think more than twice a week would be hard to maintain. Thanks for the comment and likely saving me $135/month and a lot of guilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. [...] Healthy Greek Frittata (deuxchicago.wordpress.com) [...]

    ReplyDelete